Cannibal Corpse will release their fifteenth studio album ‘Violence Unimagined’ on 16 April 2021, via Metal Blade Records. Today you can hear the track ‘Inhumane Harvest’ on MetalTalk’s Soundcloud Tracks Of The Week playlist, or below.
‘Violence Unimagined’ promises to be another top quality addition to the Cannibal Corpse catalogue, a list which is probably one of the finest in Death Metal.
Bassist and founding member Alex Webster told MetalTalk: “It really follows the path we have been going down for a few years now.
“I think we approach the writing in a similar way most every time: each of us try to write the heaviest, most memorable songs we can.
“We want each song to have its own identifiable character. Showing my age, I like to say you can ‘drop the needle’ on any point of one of our albums and quickly tell which song you’re listening to.”
Erik Rutan joins
One major change for Cannibal Corpse is the addition of guitarist Erik Rutan to their ranks, joining Webster, founding drummer Paul Mazurkiewicz, guitarist Rob Barrett and vocalist George “Corpsegrinder” Fisher.
Rutan, who is known for his roles in Morbid Angel, Ripping Corpse and most notably fronting the mighty Hate Eternal, has worked with Cannibal Corpse in the live arena and joined as a full band member last year.
Webster told us: “I think the most noticeable difference on this record will be the addition of Erik to the band. He wrote three full songs for the record, music and lyrics and his song writing and guitar playing have added something new and I think his musical style integrated into ours very well.
“He is a great friend of ours, so on a personal level, he has been a perfect fit, as we knew he would be. Beyond that, he is one of the hardest working people I know, in music or otherwise, and he maintains a high energy, positive demeanour in challenging situations where other people might go in a negative direction.
“This energy and great attitude rubs off on the rest of us as well. That is really a perfect situation to have when you add someone to a band, or any kind of team: someone who is great at what they do and also inspires the people around them.”
Rutan is also well known for his Heavy Metal production skills, having produced Cannibal Corpse albums, including Violence Unimagined, along with albums from Goatwhore, Soilent Green and Belphegor.
The reinvigorated line up have turned up the dial of extreme technicality on this new album and Webster is effusive of his praise for Mazurkiewicz’s drumming:
“I think we all pushed ourselves a bit technically on this one, with Paul probably pushing the hardest. This album is probably the most drum-intense album we have done yet.
“Part of that could be a result of Erik joining the band. His song writing style often features technically challenging drumming, probably owing to his years of experience in high speed Death Metal.”
With typically dark and warped lyrical content, Mazurkiewicz came up with the fitting title of the record, “summing up what the band is about in every facet and taking violence to another level of extremity.”
1. Murderous Rampage
2. Necrogenic Resurrection
3. Inhumane Harvest
4. Condemnation Contagion
5. Surround, Kill, Devour
6. Ritual Annihilation
7. Follow the Blood
8. Bound and Burned
9. Slowly Sawn
11. Cerements of the Flayed
Violence Unimagined Pre-order formats:
– deluxe edition artbook (48-page hardcover book includes: CD, crimson red marbled vinyl, flag, patch, and sticker)
– 180g black vinyl (EU exclusive)
– bloodred marbled vinyl (EU exclusive – limited to 1000 copies)
– golden ochre marbled vinyl (EU exclusive – limited to 500 copies)
– silver-gray blue marbled vinyl (EU exclusive – limited to 300 copies)
– clear w/ red, silver, and black splatter vinyl (Kings Road exclusive – limited to 200 copies)
– silver / white melt w/ red splatter vinyl (Kings Road exclusive – limited to 100 copies)
– dark olive marbled vinyl (PIAS exclusive – limited to 300 copies)
– burnt skin marbled vinyl (Napalm exclusive – limited to 200 copies)
– swamp green marbled vinyl (Nuclear Blast exclusive – limited to 200 copies)
– khaki olive marbled vinyl (EMP exclusive – limited to 200 copies)
– dark burgundy red vinyl (EMP exclusive – limited to 200 copies)
– bloody skin marbled vinyl (UK exclusive – limited to 200 copies)
– coke bottle clear / swamp green color in color vinyl (Decibel exclusive)
– bone / red color in color vinyl (US exclusive)
– white / olive green melt vinyl (US exclusive)
– beer w/ red splatter vinyl (US exclusive