As one of the most iconic and influential albums in music history 'Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols' still sounds as powerful and unique as ever, 35 years since the original release. As such an important musical and cultural force the album changed the landscape for records and the music industry.
The Sex Pistols defined a generation and captured a feeling within the nation that simply no one else could of. The band created a truly distinctive sound and 'Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols' impact and influence still strongly resonates with musicians, artists and people to this day.
To celebrate its 35th anniversary, Universal Music UK has assembled a limited edition super-deluxe box set release that really does this legendary album justice.
Article continues below...
While many fans will undoubtedly be of the opinion that there can be very little left in the Sex Pistols vaults that hasn't already been seen and heard, followers of the band will be thrilled by the treasure trove of music, footage, interviews, pictures and artifacts confirmed to be included.
The original master tapes from the 'Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols' recording sessions in 1977 were thought to be lost for many years. Now thankfully rediscovered during the recent move from Virgin Records to Universal Music Catalogue in January 2012 the tapes have been remastered, for the very first time, by Tim Young under direction from original producer Chris Thomas. Some real treats have also been found along the way. The find that will perhaps excite fans the most is the lost 1977 demo studio recording of 'Belsen Was A Gas', the only original Sex Pistols composition of the era thought not to be recorded.
Other treats include the inclusion of six demos first included on the infamous 'Spunk' bootleg album, released for the very first time in their original, untouched form following the very recent discovery of their original master tapes. These, combined with a selection of unreleased Chris Thomas demo's and outtakes from the recording of the album – including tracks with Sid Vicious on bass – plus a wealth of live audio and visual material all from 1977 make up a box set that will truly satisfy fans of the band.
Below is a breakdown of the contents:
· CD1 - Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols: 2012 Re-mastered, from the thought lost original master tapes with process overseen by original producer Chris Thomas.
· CD2 – 1977 Studio Rarities & B-Sides: Previously unreleased 1977 recordings including the legendary Belsen Was A Gas with John on vocals plus the original single b-sides, again all remastered from the original master tapes.
· CD3 – 1977 Live: High quality live recordings from 1977, most of which are previously unreleased.
· DVD – 1977: Live 1977 DVD produced by Julien Temple and featuring many previously unseen performances plus DVD extras of promo videos and radio interviews.
· 1977 Diary: Hardback 100 page 12" by 12" diary with quotes, rare and previously unseen photos, memorabilia and exclusive images.
· 7" Single: Replica of the withdrawn God Save The Queen A&M single.
· Poster: 3FT by 4.5FT Never Mind The Bollocks replica promo poster.
· Stickers: Reproductions of the original Never Mind The Bollocks promo stickers.
· Lyrics: A copy of the original handwritten lyrics to God Save The Queen will also be included
Full track-listing below:
CD1 – Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols*
1. Holidays In The Sun
3. No Feelings
5. God Save The Queen
8. Anarchy In The UK
10. Pretty Vacant
11. New York
CD2 – 1977 Studio Rarities & B-Sides
The single b-sides remastered.
1. No Feeling
2. Did You No Wrong
3. No Fun
Dave Goodman Demos (from original master tapes):
5. New York (Demo Version)
6. Unlimited Edition (Demo Version of 'EMI')
7. Liar (Demo Version)
8. Pretty Vacant (Demo Version)
9. Problems (Demo Version)
10. No Future (Demo Version of 'God Save The Queen')
Chris Thomas Demos and Outtakes (from original master tapes):
11. Did You No Wrong (Alternative Vocal)
12. Seventeen (Alternative Vocal)
13. Satellite (Rough Mix)
14. Submission (Rough Mix)
15. Holidays In The Sun (Rough Mix)
16. EMI (Rough Mix)
17. Seventeen (Rough Mix)
18. Holidays In The Sun (Alternative Mix)
19. Body (Demo Version of 'Bodies')
20. Submission (Alternate Mix)
21. Belsen Was A Gas (Demo)
CD3 – 1977 Live
Ssamfundet Club, Trondheim, Norway - 21st July
1. Anarchy In The U.K.
2. I Wanna Be Me
4. New York
6. No Fun
7. No Feelings
9. God Save The Queen
Happy House, Stockholm, Sweden - 28th July***
10. Anarchy In The UK
11. I Wanna Be Me
13. New York
16. No Feelings
18. God Save The Queen
19. Pretty Vacant
20. No Fun
DVD – 1977
Riverboat Party, The River Thames, London - 7th July
1. Pretty Vacant
2. Anarchy In The UK
Happy House, Stockholm, Sweden - 28th July***
4. Anarchy In The UK
5. I Wanna Be Me
7. New York
9. No Fun
S.P.O.T.S. Tour - Winter Gardens, Penzance, Cornwall – 1st September***
11. No Fun
12. Anarchy In The UK
1. God Save The Queen video
2. Pretty Vacant video
3. Holidays In The Sun video
4. The HeyDay Interviews. Interviews by Judy and Fred Vermorel recorded in August 1977 with:
a. Steve Jones
b. Paul Cook
c. John Lydon
d. Sid Vicious
e. Glen Matlock
5. BBC, Radio 1, Rock On, December 12th 1977 – John Tobler interview with John and Sid (previously unheard full uncensored version)
1977 (The Bollocks Diaries)
100 page full-colour hardback diary detailing every significant band event in this explosive year. Written by former Mojo editor Pat Gilbert, the book includes multiple quotes from key figures, previously unseen photos, recording details, memorabilia and much more.
+ replica A&M GSTQ/No Feeling 7" single.
+ 3FT by 4.5FT Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols replica promo poster.
+ copy of original handwritten lyrics to God Save The Queen.
+ Replica Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols promo stickers.
+ 4 postcards
Content Key/Bullet Points
* = remastered from the recently found original album master tapes by Tim Young under the guidance of original producer Chris Thomas.
** = these 6 demo's would make up the legendary 'Spunk' album but are heard here for the very first time in their original, untouched form following the very recent discovery of the original master tapes.
*** = All tracks previously unreleased except Submission (track ) which unlike in 2003 when it first appeared is now mastered from the original tapes.
**** = This is the legendary original demo featuring John Lydon on vocals and is taken from the recently recovered original master tapes.